Sunday 14 February 2010

A New Addition To The Family

It has been a busy last month for our family. First of all we have been moving from the Sunshine Coast back to Brisbane since the beginning of December. My Dad loaned us his trailer so we were taking a trailer load down a week. (For those of you who don't know we have been blessed enough to be able to rent our parents house as Dad got a job in Melbourne so the rentals moved to Melbourne and allowed us to rent the house which we are really grateful for.) So as mum was packing we where taking up any free space to put all our stuff.

Then on the 21st of January I woke up about 7am with this massive cramp in my leg. You know the type that is so painful that for a good time after the intial searing pain there is after pain well that is the one I got. Anyway I left as though due to the pain I had leaked a few drops in my liner... so I laid there for a minute trying to recover as it was only a few drops and I did have a liner on. As I got up out of bed and stood up I felt this little trickle down my leg and thought hold on do I need to go to the loo... that is when I saw the massive wet patch on the bed... so much for my few drops LOL. So I rushed off to the shower thinking that I had had an accident (which I thought was a bit odd cause I don't have accidents) so as my dear darling husband cleared the bed I asked him to bring me the sheets so that I could smell them... gross I know but I wanted to make sure what it was and your wee has a distinct smell... mean while Dear Husband and I where debating if my waters had broken,.. I thought it couldn't be as I still had 6wks to go. Anyway there was no wee smell on the sheets which was a relief but a scary shock at the same time.

So as you do I tried to call my Mum.., (I didn't even think to call the hospital I think I was in to much shock) and for once I couldn't get ahold of Mum. So I called my sister who has had 3 children of her own. She assured me that it was my waters that had broken and that I need to call the hospital... (Ding - should have done that first). As I proceeded to tell her that there was a steady drip down my leg... Well that put us into panic mode I had nothing organised. No hospital bag no baby things (they where all packed and in Brisbane as we where offically moving the following Friday). So there I am standing in the bathroom with a towel between my legs (sorry for the visual) in shock now on the phone to the hospital who are telling me to come in straight away... I think the most unsettling thing was that I had no pain at this stage... the whole time I was waiting for the pain to set in but it never came. I managed to get dressed in a nighty and order my DH around to get a bag together... and get some things together of my DS who was now going to spend the day with Nanna D.

Eventually we got to the hospital about an hour after I first called them... When we got there I still had no pain. So they hooked me up to the monitors and waited and watched... sent in a doctor who did a check and took some test samples and blood and all the yucky stuff. Only to confirm that yes my waters has broken... So after much walking around etc to try and bring it on they eventually admitted me into the ward. So for the next 2 days i just sat and weighted in between visits from doctors, nurses and tests. The doctors said that if I didn't come on my own (go into spontanious labour) that they would have to induce me but they wouldn't do that until the following week so that Logan would be older. The longer they are in the womb the better it is for them. I was not looking forward to waiting that week let alone being induced. I heard that it made labour more painful... like any women wants that.

Fortunately for me Logan decided to come on his own. I had had a few mild labour pains over the 2 days that I was in hospital but nothing consistant or regular. Then after another sleepless night being in the maternity ward with crying babies etc... I was on the laptop playing majong and writing in a journal I had a few pains... nothing major I thought that they where just like all the others so I decided to go for a little work before I would try and get some sleep as my butt was sore from sitting on it in the crappy hospital beds for several hours. Off I went to stretch the legs and get the blood pumping at this time it was about 4.30 or so (The day that my DH was moving yet another load to Brisbane) I started doing laps of the nurses station. As I was walking the mild pains started to be regular and consistant... after about 30mins I flagged one of the nurses and said I think it is happening. They hooked me up to the machine and monited me for another 30mins and sure enough the pains showed up on the machine...

By about 5.45 am the pains started to get intense. So I was breathing and walking to help me through the pain. I called my DH at about this time and said if you are going to go to Brisbane do it now and do it fast because I am in Labour. Actually I suggested that he didn't go by the time I called him again 45mins later but he was already half way to Brisbane. By 7am they moved me to the labour ward. In the mean time I called my Mum and told her to get up to the hospital as I didn't want to be alone. Mum was going to look after DS but he was with DH. So Mum got to the hospital at the same time she got to the hospital for my first DS. I was beginning to panic as the pains where getting more intense and closer together that DH wasn't going to make it. I was talking to my baby saying just hold on till Daddy comes... he must have heard me because he was born an hour after DH arrived. I was actually in the shower when DH arrived at 10.45am. I burst into tears when I saw him as I was so releaved that he had made it as I know he was too... he was destressed at the thought of missing his second sons birth.

So Mum took hold of DS #1 and tried to hang around to be here for the birth... but in the end I was looking so awful as you do in labour that we decided that DS didn't need to see me that way. Mum took him and was going to back to her place so they left... with in 15mins of them leaving DS #2 was born... Mumma was so gutted as she had only just left the car park. So she had to run around and find another one as her one had already been taken. So by the time they made it back Logan was already 1/2 hr old. Mean while DH Mum made it up from Brisbane just in the nick of time she got there about 30mins before he was born, and once he was born she couldn't believe that had happened that fast. She did manage to get a few snaps though.

When I had the urge to push it was different to my first I didn't really have that greater urge to push it was instictual if that makes sense. Anyway about 3 pushes later Logan was born and the peditricans wisked him away. I got to hold him for about 30 seconds before he was taken to the Special Care Unit with Dad and Nanna Parrish in toe.

At 11.14am our second son was born screaming his lungs out...

5 comments:

the.baker.bunch said...

Thanks for sharing!! hope you don't mind me reading it :/ And congrats on the new addition- how funny that our little families are so similar... too bad second cousins are a no-no haha!
Glad to see all is well- I'll stay tuned if you don't mind :D
Love Anita.. ah your cousin haha

Susan Hurley-Luke said...

SO glad you and your new little man are alright. My own DD was born 5 weeks premmie and your story had me remembering so many things that happened to us....she turned out well by the way and is all grown up now :)

Enjoy your days with your new little baby! Take care!

Kimmie said...

He is beautiful! I love the pictures. I wish you were closer though.

Felicity said...

I'm so glad everything work out OK!! I know the feeling of having your waters break unexpectedly (mine happened at work almost 4 weeks early - I was SO embarressed cause i thought i'd wet my pants too....hehehe - luckily i hadn't)!! Your baby is beautiful!!

luv felicity

ps) oooohhhhh when i read stories about labor it makes me nervous.....20 weeks to go......aaaaahhhhhhhhhh :)

Chelsea Smallwood said...

Wow miranda great description of the event! SOO glad everything worked out well for you. Sounds like a very stressful time!

HOpe you and you're family are well! You look very happy :-)