Sunday 14 February 2010

Special Care Unit

I am eternally grateful for the staff and other parents of babies in the Special Care Unit for the love and care that they gave to me and our Baby boy. What they do in there is amazing. I didn't even know what a Special Care Unit was until my baby was taken there. I remember seeing him in the Humie-Crib with all this tubes and wires hanging off him. These photo's to do him any justices in the sense of his size he really is tiny.

These pictures where taken the day he was born.
He was only a few hours old if that

This is my first cuddle on Logan about two hours after he was born.

Big brother having his first cuddle of his new little brother.
From the time he saw his little brother he wanted to give him
a cuddle. This was taken about 2 days after Logan was born.
The next day logan would go back into the Humie-crib and under
UV Lights for his Jaundice.

I practically lived in the special care unit. I was there at every 3 hourly feed except for a few a night. On top of which I was expressing so that Logan could be tube fed my EBM (Express Breast Milk). I became a true dairy cow whilst in hospital. The whole time in the SCU is a blur really... I did make note but until you experience it you can't appreciate the emotional and physical strain it is.

Logan was under the UV lights for about 3 and half days. After which he still had jaundice but the UV lights weren't making any really difference to Logan's belirubin levels. So the took him out. That was a wonderful day I could go and hold my baby anytime I wanted. I could actually start breast feeding my baby like all the other mums in the maternity ward. I have to say the other women in my ward where very nice. Though they did look at me weirdly at first till they found out that my baby was in the SCU. They always apologised for there crying babies... I didn't mind I just wished my baby was there to make just as much noise. Though in the end I did get ear plugs LOL.

I think the hardest part was feeling so useless in the sense that there was so much going on outside the hospital ie. my DH moving us to brisbane with our 2yr old son in toe that I couldn't help with as well as having a baby in the SCU.

I can't praise the staff of Nambour Hospital enough they where all friendly and I received loads of help and encouragement from midwives and lactation consultants. I learnt so much while I was there.

A few days after Logan came out from the lights he was feeding so well that his feeding tube came out. Another great milestone. The day before he came home he was allowed to stay with me in the ward. It felt so surreal.

1 comment:

Felicity said...

love the pic of your hubby and your little boys together! so cute!! happy to hear baby is home and feeding well!! xo